Do you find yourself spending most of your times outdoor? Do you like going out into the wilderness, getting connected to Mother Earth in most occasions? If you do, you should have the best hiking backpack that will help you carrying the important items without causing you extra trouble. The best backpacks for hiking should be strong, solid, and sturdy and yet it should be flexible with only the best material and construction. Finding the right item can be quite confusing as it can be a headache. However, when you are able to make a careful selection among the myriads of items out there, you are able to get the worthy piece for your needs.
Keep in mind that each backpack has its own strength and flaws. Some items are designed for general outdoor usage while some are created to meet special needs, narrowing down your focus to some of the important elements. You will have to spend extra time to go through the lists but you should be able to make an educated option of which one perfectly match your requirements. Don’t rush things unless you are ready to waste money on the backpack you don’t really need (or want). Be wise and be smart about this overall deal.
The Best Hiking Backpack, the Various Brands and Types
Again, there are hundreds of items out there, coming from different manufacturers with their own lines, models, and variants. By going through different sorts of brands and items, you should be able to make the right choice without too much fuss or hassle.
1. Osprey Atmos Men’s 65 Backpack
Just like the other outdoor backpacks, this one comes with various zippers, slots, and compartments to make your carrying process easier and simpler. Known as one of the best backpack for hiking, this one is also packed with various useful features and usages. For a starter, the floating top lid is removable so you won’t have to worry about oversized loading. There are also compression side straps that can help stabilizing the load. Not to mention that there are also panel pockets on the front with dual zipper mode. They will be handy when you want to save items that are easily accessed and made ready in an instant. Feel free to enjoy the adjustable harness that should fit your torso nicely. Since it is adjustable, you don’t have to worry that it would be too big or too small. It’s adjustable, remember? Make the right adjustment and you should be good to go.
- The backpack comes with so many handy features that will make usage easy and comfortable.
- The suspension system is pretty cool and nice.
- It is made from nylon so it is long lasting and quite sturdy in construction.
- Some users have a hard time adjusting the harness. Despite the adjustment they have made, the backpack doesn’t seem to fit perfectly.
- Some say that the bag comes with a rain cover while some say it doesn’t. Some say that they get the rain cover while the others don’t.
2. Osprey Ariel Women’s 65 Backpack
It is the woman’s variant from the Osprey line so you can expect the best quality and construction from this backpack. In fact, it is known as one of the best women’s hiking backpack, with slimmer design, smaller and more compact model, but with similar features and handy functionality of an outdoor backpack. Just like the model for the males, this one comes with useful features. Nylon material ensures tough construction and long lasting usage. There is a trekking Slow on the Go pole attachment to make usage easier. You should be able to find external hydration sleeve, located on the back panel, designed to protect the content from spilling as well as making refilling action easier. And thanks to the LightWire frame, the weight of the load can be easily ad effectively transferred to the hipbelt so you won’t have to worry about the overall weight.
- There are loads of handy features for the pack. For instance, the J-zip on the front area will provide effective and easy access to the main area of the compartment.
- The hipbelt is new, with IsoForm quality that will balance cushion and firmness so carrying any load will be not only easier but also somewhat more enjoyable.
- The bottom side isn’t water proof so it can be humid and it can be wet. It would be better if the area is made water proof.
- Some users are disappointed with the real color because it isn’t as good as expected.
- Some users claim that the external hydration sleeve isn’t delivering much function. In fact, it is quite useless.
3. Men’s Altra Arcteryx 65 Pack
The suspension system is superb and impressive with Composite Construction (known as C2) system. The top lid has double chamber arrangement for easier and more accessible gear organization, arranging your small items will be easy and even fun. Not to mention that the top lid is extendable so you can load more items without complication. The backpack has a kangaroo pocket on the front side and it is pretty big, allowing you to easily access the items you often need or use. The back area is ventilated so it will remain comfortable and nice even on the prolonged usage. A lot of users find that the overall construction and features are very handy.
- The backpack is made with sturdy construction and yet it is not overly rigid or too straight. It is flexible and very nice to use.
- The added features will ensure comfortable functionality while improving usability.
- The internal girth seems to be too tight even after it is being expanded.
- The pockets on the hipbelt are so tiny, to the point of nonexistent. They don’t have any much usage, anyway, and you can’t really have a direct access to the items you generally need. This is one of the best hiking backpack brands but if you are expecting the pockets on the hipbelt to function well, you may want to look for other brands.
4. Sports Teton Backpack
There are so many things to like about this outdoor backpack. Aside from the fact that this backpack is perfect for beginners, it is constructed well and yet not too rigid or firm. If you are looking for a backpack designed for light packing needs, this would be the perfect option. The backpack can be used for 4 days outdoor journey, able to accommodate 55 liters of contents. It comes with torso adjustments and multi position system. Not to mention that it has the molded channels and foam open cell lumbar pad for the improved comfort and convenience. With various compartments and compression straps, you will find yourself liking your adventurous trip. And let’s not forget the padded shoulder straps that will make it super comfy for carrying the backpack, even for long journey.
- The backpack is completely sturdy and durable with simple arrangement.
- The construction and features make it comfortable to use.
- The size is just right, and the price is perfect too.
- The free rain cover is a nice bonus.
- The waist fabric is too big; they can get in a way when you forget to buckle them.
- The holder for the drink is somewhat smaller on one side, making it more difficult to access.
- The internal bars frame can be difficult to get back in.
5. Gregory Mountain Baltoro 75 Backpack
The backpack comes with A3 Response suspension that will automatically adjust itself to the terrain as well as your body. The backpack itself is pretty big with roomy space but thanks to the suspension, it feels somewhat lighter and nice. You can fully load it without having to worry about the extra weight because the structure of the backpack will make it feel nice and comfy on your back. The backpack has its own built in compartments and slots so you can carry anything you like without having to worry about anything. Moreover, it is made from Polyester ballistic weave so it is super sturdy and strong. No wonder if it is considered as the best value hiking backpack, considering that the price isn’t as high as the others.
- It has a very nice custom fit and adjustable strap that will make carry easier and nicer.
- The shoulder harness and 3D hipbelt are easily adjusted to provider custom fit.
- It comes with its own rain cover.
- The WeatherShield pocket on the hipbelt will make sure that your items remain dry even in the wettest season.
- There are handy pockets available anywhere, including on the side with zippers.
- It can be pretty big and heavy for some users.
- The hipbelt can dig to some of the users’ pelvis despite the adjustments they have made.
- It may not be the best backpack for tall and big people because the backpack will feel somewhat weird on their back.
6. North Face 60 Cobra Backpack
Who hasn’t heard about North Face, a brand that is associated with outdoor activities and tough conditions? The construction is super sturdy and solid. With nylon as the main material, you can expect a long lasting backpack that won’t easily wear off with the weather or season. The hardware is metal with handy removable lid, functional when you want to expand the load. There is also s helmet carry and also the hipbelt padding is removable. There are also additional features that will be handy for your outdoor actions, such as sled drag clips, ski carry pockets, rope pockets, and such thing alike. As one of the best day hiking backpack, this backpack will help you with your carry.
- You can reduce the weight if you remove the top lid, the hipbelt pad, and the frame sheet.
- The added pockets are super handy for easy access and for outdoor use.
- Some users claim that the backpack is heavy.
- Some of the pockets aren’t really needed. If the users forget to zip them up, they can be a drag.
7. Atmos Osprey AG 65 Backpack
Despite the big size and the seemingly heavy construction, this backpack is super comfy, thanks to the ventilation system. The suspension system with its Anti-Gravity technology and the hipbelt that can adjust itself to the contour of the body will make sure that you should be able to carry your backpack comfortably and nicely without obstructing your movement. The hipbelt is easily adjusted so you can always have a comfy carry. It may be one of the best large hiking backpack on the market but you won’t feel the size once you carry it on your back.
- The backpack has a well-built construction and it is able to accommodate the weight just well.
- The suspension system is very nice and it is durable.
- It is able to hug the body nicely and firmly without constricting you.
- The pockets on the hipbelt aren’t big – they aren’t really functional because of the size.
- The bag can be heavy.
- The straps can be extra loose and they can obstruct the movement.
8. Teton Internal Frame Sports Fox Backpack
The regular backpack for the outdoor activities is big but this one is bigger. It has the extra-large internal capacity, enough to accommodate your needs for weekly journey. Since it is designed to accommodate a lot of items for long trip and journey, it comes with high quality design with various adjustments that should meet various body types and sizes. And since it is considered as one of the best affordable hiking backpack, you don’t have to spend a fortune to have one.
- The backpack can be adjusted to fit users with smaller body size just nicely.
- It comes with its own rain cover.
- The buckle can rip easily.
- The overall quality of the material and construction isn’t very good. The side part can rip easily and it can be torn apart.
- The hipbelt isn’t comfy at all and the placement is rather odd.
- The rain cover isn’t water proof.
9. Osprey Aura AG 65 Backpack
If you have read the previous reviews, you should be able to see that Osprey backpacks are always qualified. They are designed and made for a quality use. It is made of nylon, so it is sturdy and solid. With adjustable harness, various compartments and slots, various pockets, and also handy hipbelt, you can always find a handy usage and comfortable wear of the backpack.
- The backpack is big enough and super spacious.
- The straps are comfortable when worn.
- The backpack comes with good ventilation system so your back won’t heat up even during long journey.
- The bag itself is rather heavy.
- It doesn’t come with a rain cover.
- The straps can be loose and it can rub against your clothes or skin.
10. Teton 4000 Explorer Internal Frame Backpack
This backpack can be used by female or male, for hunting or camping; in short, for doing any outdoor activities. It is able to accommodate a lot of items, thanks to the extra-large space. It also comes with torso adjustments straps that will fit nicely to any position or any body size. The special lumbar pad and the padded shoulder straps will ensure comfortable usage even when you have to spend hours walking. The material is super premium with high quality construction.
- The design and quality is top notch when compared to other backpacks in the industry.
- There are many pockets and compartments that can help you carry your items.
- The adjustable straps are handy and accessible for improved usage.
- If the bag is too heavy, some of the straps may break during your journey so the quality may not be so good.
- The overall quality of the bag isn’t water proof as expected.
11. Osprey Daylite Daypack
This may be considered as one of the best small hiking backpack, suitable when you want a day hiking trip without spending a day on the wild. The backpack is spacious and big enough but not extra big as the other outdoor backpacks. There are additional dual pockets on the side for extra storage. The interior side has interior sleeve for tablet or other usage. The back panel is well ventilated so you can wear the backpack comfortably during long walks.
- The quality of the backpack is nice and sturdy, enough to carry your items without complication.
- The backpack is small and light and yet it has enough space for the inside.
- Some users find it rather small for days of outdoor activities, camping, or hiking.
- There are not many extra pockets on the outside.
- The bottles may not stay on the side mesh pockets as you want them to.
12. RG-25 Rockagator Waterproof Backpack
The backpack is able to accommodate 40 liter but it looks slim and small, but not too small. Unlike other backpacks, it has its own laptop storage pouch which can be removed when necessary. There is also interior pouch with zippers to keep small items like your mobile phone with keys. The seams are welded construction so water can’t easily seep into the bag. This is one of the best waterproof hiking backpack for your needs.
- The quality construction is very nice and very handy.
- The waterproof quality is quite impressive and nice.
- The backpack feels sturdy and solid.
- The bottom area is smaller and it gets wider at the top.
- The exterior pockets are quite deep and they can’t be accessible when the bag is full.
- The exterior side pockets for bottles are rather flimsy.
13. Teton Scout Backpack
This backpack is best for beginners or young explorers who need easy access. The adjustable straps will make changes and adjustments easy to fit your body contour and size. Thanks to the molded channels and lumbar pad, along with the padded shoulder straps, you can enjoy the comfortable journey without pain or discomfort on your shoulders and back.
- The top storage area is super handy.
- The bag is light when it is empty.
- The overall construction is solid and durable.
- It is super comfy.
- The fabric on the waist could be smaller because you will trip over them if you forget to buckle it.
- One of the side pockets for bottles is smaller than the others.
In the end, it goes back to you and your personal preference of which backpack you like the most. After reading the various reviews, including their strength and flaws, you can make a better decision. After all, it does take a while to choose the best lightweight hiking backpack but if you can spend extra time to carefully consider everything, you will make a worthy spending.